With school almost out and summer rapidly approaching, one thing you are probably looking forward to is a family road trip. These summer vacations are a great way to explore, bond, and make memories with those closest to you. But before striking out on the open road, there are a few things you need in addition to your flip flops and swimsuit to ensure you have a fun, but also safe trip.
Get your Car Inspected
Before striking off from Ortonville, MI the first thing you want to do is get your car in for an inspection and any necessary Fenton, MI auto repair. This preliminary check will ensure your car can deliver you safely to your destination. Granted, this will not mean an emergency won’t happen. But it will improve safety and reduce your risk of breaking down on the side of the road.
What to Take on Your Summer Road Trip
These are the things to pack for emergency car care:
- Owner’s manual. Make sure you have your car’s manual stored in the glove compartment.
- Extra quart of oil. Oil is the lifeblood of your car, and without it the engine will seize. So if you happen to spring a leak on your summer road trip, you still want to be able to get to an auto repair shop. Some extra oil might make all the difference.
- Tire gauge and spare tire. You also want to have a tire jack and a tire iron, because without these your spare tire will prove completely useless unless someone else shows up to help you. You should also brush up on your tire replacement skills.
- Water and High Energy Snacks. Your body will quickly dehydrate if you get stuck somewhere. So always have non-perishable sustenance on hand.
- First aid kit. Always important to prepare for injury, especially during a car accident.
- Road flares or reflective triangles. The last thing you need is to be hit while your car is broken down on the side of the road. Use these items to warn oncoming cars so you can avoid collisions in the dark. You should also pack a flashlight and spare batteries for emergency lighting.
- Jumper cables. A dead battery can happen to the best of us, so it is better to just be prepared. Always have a set of cables in your car. And familiarize yourself with how they work so that if the time goes you don’t have to rely on Google or a Good Samaritan to save you.
- Fire extinguisher. If you are in an accident and your car catches fire, an extinguisher can help put it out and stop it from becoming a true disaster.
- Maps. We aren’t just talking about the kind you have on your cellphone or GPS. Electronics can run out of batteries or malfunction. So always carry a paper map with you on vacation so you know where you are at any given time.
- Blankets. Even in warm weather, it could still get cold if you need to spend the night in your car.
- Duct tape. It really can be a huge benefit to have while you travel. With it you can make temporary repairs that will help you get to the nearest service station for emergency auto repair.
Choose Holly Tire for Auto Repair
Heading out on your summer vacation with family? Make Holly Tire your first stop. We will help make sure your car is running as safely and efficiently as possible fore you venture out on your summer road trip. Call us today or stop by 15140 N. Holly Rd. Holly, MI 48442.